Monday, July 12, 2010

Singapore!

I am a Singaporean; from the sunny island of Singapore in Southeast Asia. I grew up and lived there till two years ago when I moved to Eugene, Oregon to attend the University of Oregon. So I thought I would share some pictures from a photo essay I was working on last summer.

I set out to capture those many do not usually associate with our affluent country. I enjoyed meeting these amazing people, who to most just have mundane jobs or are not of much importance, but they have such interesting stories to tell! I hope to someday publish these and have profits help The Rainbow Center, a school for children with special needs that my sister went to, because I think we forget sometimes that they are important too.

So these are the unseen heroes of My Country:

A butcher at Ghim Moh Market, what we call a "wet market."

A street ice cream vendor on the Clarke Quay river front.

These foreign workers keep grass all over the island neat and tidy!

Primary school girls getting ready to celebrate National Day.

"Aunties" enjoying a picnic with take out! And our iconic skyline in the background.

Children watched by their domestic helper, commonly called a maid.

A Changi International Airport worker rounding up stray luggage carts.

Singapore Airlines Ground staff in the Changi International Airport.

Air Force pilots protecting our skies.

Children from Unity Primary School watching a Civil Defense demonstration.

An egg seller in Tekka Market.

A fish monger in Tekka Market.

8 comments:

  1. The "aunties" eating is my favorite! Nice work on all of the photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your use of the wide angle lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos. What a story each one tells!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots... each one tells a story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are GREAT. My mom went to visit Singapore some years ago. I myself have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love singapore!!!!!!!! -insert propoganda song that makes everyone cringe but secretly (or not) loves singing!! :) haha. will write you an email regarding how i feel, hahaha.
    love
    cola

    ReplyDelete